The flowering of black-eyed susans has helped us see the extent to which they’ve infested part of the gully. We started clearing them today, around one of the stormwater drains, ready to build another retention basin and stop the plume of weeds.
We’ve had several goes at stopping stormwater from carrying weed seeds into the bush. Someone from Council came once, with machinery, and created some beautiful stone lined retention basins, only to have someone else from Council come along a few months later and tear them up with a digger.
We built sandbags a little while back, placing them at the back of this basin. The bags have perished, though, so this time we built stone dams and planted reeds in front of them as a filter.
A few days later, Howard has photographed pooled runoff water in our main retention basin. So far so good.
Nathan harvesting reeds with eriostemon in foreground
A close-up of the eriostemon
Nathan and Howard consulting
Close-up of sedimentation pond with reeds planted with reeds
Howard took this ‘before’ shot of the work on Saturday